Thursday, October 13, 2011

Adventures in Kitty Adoptions, Days 7 & 8

Tough crowd, tough crowd.... My mother-in-law is looking into hitmen and rounding up the townsfolk for an angry mob because I still haven't revealed the kitties' new names. Well, prepare to be disappointed. We have still not decided on names. My husband is still saying we may not keep both kitties (even though he went and bought some moist morsel kitty food to bribe them with as well as what can only be described as a kitty jungle gym) and we know we want to name one "George." I know George is a strange choice, but as we were looking up kitty name lists, we ran across George and both of us chorused, "I will call him George! And I will love him and stroke him and pet him and hold him!" Plus, one of my favorite football players is Eddie George. We have tossed around different combinations, but have not arrived at a second name. Since we all seem to have trouble spitting out "Butterball" and "Smidgen", we decided that until we figure out another name, we are going to call him by the color of their collars. It's easy since as you look at them, you know that "Blue" has on a blue collar, instead of trying to remember that he is "Butterball." So, for now, they are "Blue" and "Black." I know, it's dumb, but it's only temporary.

I was beginning to think that "Blue" had a broken purr-motor because I had never heard him purr. Last night I went out to see them and Blue was really lovable. Then he started purring. His purr was so cute--it sounded a bit like chirping--sort of a squeaky purr. While he was in a good mood, I picked him up and put him in my lap. He stayed there for a while, letting me pet him and purring.

Billy was pleased that Black jumped in his lap and rolled around on him for a while. Ignoring him is the trick to getting his attention.

I have been having some trouble with the automatic litter box. It clogs often. We decided to try this other litter we saw at the store, called Feline Pine. It is much lighter weight, so we thought it might help, since the rake sometimes appears to be unable to make it through the litter and resets itself. So, this morning, I dumped out the old litter and put in the new stuff. Now, this is too lightweight. When the rake starts, it pushes everything out. The stuff sticks together. I'm not sure what to do with it now.... Maybe I will look for help on some online forums to get some advice.

We were going to let the kitties into the house tomorrow, but the kids are out of school tomorrow and I'd rather the boys have some quiet to explore the house, instead of kids following them around everywhere. So, we decided to wait until Monday. Boy, they sure try to follow me in!

I'll be glad when they can come in. They are getting used to being with us and seem to want more. And so do I!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I love "George" for your kitty! I have a girlfriend who is seriously naming her CHILD "George" -- her human child. We are trying to get used to it...she and her hubby love it, so I guess that's all that matters. Hope your kitties acclimate soon!