Friday, May 23, 2008

Prayers for the Chapman Family

Others' reality is my greatest fear. I am saddened by the news that my favorite Christian singer, Steven Curtis Chapman, has lost his youngest daughter. They had 3 biological children and 3 adopted from China. Maria was only 5 years old. Such a tragedy. Their teenage son accidentally ran her over in their driveway. There have been a lot of accidents like this in recent years. A child was killed here in our city just a couple of weeks ago in the same manner. I urge everyone to do two things: stress to your children the importance of not playing near vehicles, even if the vehicle isn't running (and keep little ones that can't understand this in your sight, in your arms); and always check behind your vehicle before you back out (I'm bad about remembering this too).

I know that the Chapmans have a real faith. I know that they know that she is held in the arms of God now, that He can protect her and love her even more than her very close-knit and loving family can even do. But, my heart breaks for her brother. Even though I'm sure he knows that he will see his sister again and that it wasn't his fault, it can't be easy to live with the knowledge that you accidentally killed your sister. I pray that he will not be haunted by guilt and blame. I pray that God will wrap him in peace and mercy. I pray for healing for the whole family as they grieve their loss, but look forward to a reunion in heaven.

If you click the title of this blog, it will link you to a website that tells of the news, shows a cute and goofy video of Steven with Maria (you will laugh, you will cry--it will be worth it), and allows you to leave your condolences.

I Thessalonians 4:13-18 "But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words."

No comments: