Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Kimmy


I have a 5-year-old named Kimmy. She is what I would call eccentric. She will wear cowgirl boots with shorts or sweatpants. She walks around wearing black plastic sunglasses with the lenses popped out. She is an individual and I admire her greatly.

She is also very funny. She says (& does) the funniest things. She is the comic relief in our family. Anything to get a laugh. She always comes up with these little one-liners and I wonder where they come from until we are watching a movie or TV show and I realize that she has chosen some obscure line and filed it away in that steel-trap mind of hers until she can bring it out again at an appropriate time.

For example, one Saturday morning (EARLY), she came to our bedroom and came to my side of the bed and was talking to me, in my face. I finally said, "Kimmy, go away, you're annoying me." She sat back for a moment, contemplating that. Eventually, she got back in my face and said, "I don't feel like I am annoying you."

Just the other day, she went into this tirade. She is a mama's girl and she went off: "That's MY mama! I paid good money for her. I paid MY money for her. She was expensive because she was the prettiest mama. Go find your own mama!"

Last night, the girls were getting their awards for completing their Sparks books in Awanas at church. For me, if I am on stage, I freeze, stare straight ahead until it is over, then slink back to my seat. Not my Kimmy. She got up there, did a little dance move, stroked her chest like she was so proud of herself, then proceeded to polish the medal she got for participating in Spark-a-rama, then hid it in her vest like she was afraid someone would steal it, all the while shooting silly faces our direction. All the other kids were standing there acting like ladies and gentleman, but my Kimmy is up there hamming it up. We couldn't stop laughing.

No comments: