Saturday, September 20, 2008

High School Musical on Ice



I took Arrena and Kimmy to see High School Musical on Ice for Arrena's birthday. The tickets cost quite a bit, but they were worth it for the seats we got: on the floor, second row. Arrena wanted to be close. We could have reached out and touched the skaters, as you can see by the pictures. It was a pretty good show. The audio is taped and the skaters lip-sync, but it was well-choreographed. The first act is the first High School Musical and act two is High School Musical 2. It is a little rushed to get all of that into about an hour and forty minutes (COUNTING the intermission), but I thought it came out well. It's got to be challenging to do a play while on skates. The actor/skater that played Troy looked a lot like Zac Efron. The girl that played Gabriella didn't resemble Vanessa Hudgens as much, but she was really sweet. Kimmy must have caught her eye. Kimmy had been bouncing around and smiling her little missing-tooth smile and waving at all the skaters that came near us (which was a lot since there was a platform right in front of her seat). "Gabriella" waved to her several times (she made a point to wave directly at Kimmy when they were wrapping up and skating out) and blew her a kiss once. Kimmy was also thrilled when a skater sent up a shower of ice and a piece hit Kimmy in the arm. She showed us the wet spot, excitedly exclaiming, "A piece of ice got me!" I thought she might never wash that arm again! Arrena muttered, "Everything good always happens to Kimmy." Arrena did have a good time, though, proclaiming that it was the best day of her life. The only downside was that I didn't bring my camera. I thought about it and thought they might not allow flash photography and since we were in a prominent spot, we would be more obvious if we were snapping pictures. So, I left it at home and ended up taking a ton of pictures on my cell phone, which is only a 1.3 megapixel, as opposed to my 8 megapixel camera that I left at home. Most of the pictures weren't good at all, but a couple were acceptable. The people in front of us had a camera and I was kicking myself watching all the great shots they were getting. I don't think it would have been worth it if we had been sitting futher back--my flash doesn't work well in large indoor areas. But, as close as we were, it would have been fantastic. And as much as I paid for the tickets, it seems a waste not to have some great pictures out of it. Now I know for next time, I guess!

No comments: