Monday, October 18, 2010

Walking a Mile in Someone's Shoes

Okay, here is my pet peeve for the day. I read a post on Facebook about someone abandoning their friendship with someone because she would not leave her abusive boyfriend/husband. She didn't agree with her choices and did not deem her worthy of being her friend. I was angry. In possibly the lowest time in this person's life...and her "friend" abandoned her. Way to kick someone while they are down. I find it very despicable when a person judges when they have never been in that situation. I used to be that person. I swore I would never let a man hit me or cheat on me. If he did, it would immediately be over. I couldn't understand women that put up with that. They were idiots and I judged them just as harshly as this person on Facebook. But, then I walked a mile in their shoes and found that things look awfully different when you are on the other side. My ex hit me once during our marriage and I stayed. He cheated on me so many times, I don't even know how many girlfriends he had. But I stayed. I had a million reasons why I did too. Some of them made sense, some did not. One of the best friends I had through the hard years was a friend that accepted my decisions no matter what they were, no matter if she agreed with them or not. She would ask, "what do you want to do?" And she would back me up and support me no matter what my answer was. The only reason she asked was so she could know how to help me. THAT is a true friend. I had plenty that were exasperated because I defied all common logic in staying. But, the friend that I was able to lean on no matter what was the one that respected that the decisions were MINE and mine alone and that I would be the one living with the consequences. Yes, I eventually divorced my husband, but only after 7 years of a hellish nightmare. If you are a friend, do not judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. And remember: "but for the grace of God go I."

No comments: