Monday, February 22, 2010

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, It's Off to Work I Go?

Well, I believe I previously reported that I would be able to be a stay-at-home mom. I should have said that my husband believed this to be the case. I was skeptical, but since that is what I really wanted, I was willing to see how it played out. But, as it turns out, there is more expense than there is income.

We worked out a budget and found that, indeed, we are in the red. We were able to stay afloat this long due to some money my new husband had set back, but that can only hold out so far. It would be okay if I was actually getting some child support from my ex-husband (but I am not) and if Billy's preschool wasn't $500 a month. So we began to think that maybe I could just go to work temporarily to make up the difference until Billy is out of preschool and I start getting child support.

I had previously looked into and tested to work for the census bureau. I called the local census office and found it would be easier to retest than for them to try to find my old test in another state and under my former name. So, I went down to city hall and took the test. Turned out that I scored a 27 out of 28. The examiner advised me to take the management test. He told our group that the higher the score, the sooner you would be called for a job. I was hesitant to seek a management position, but figured it couldn't hurt to have options. I took the management test and scored a 24 out of 29. I don't know if that is good or not. I have been waiting for a call with news of a job offer. It's been a couple of weeks and still no word.

Meanwhile, we found out that Scott's work schedule will be changing. A few months back, his company (MAST Ambulance) was swallowed up into the city's fire department, or are in the process of making this changeover. They are now trying to make them adopt firefighters' schedules. This will mean that he won't have regular days off: his days off will alternate. We REALLY don't like this. He's put in nine years there and earned his weekends off, but now he's going to end up missing every other Sunday at church. This back and forth schedule makes it nearly impossible for me to have a job, since Scott is my only source of childcare, unless I work very limited hours while the kids are at school. And with summer coming up and there being NO school, that's even worse. So now we are looking more and more into me working from home, i.e., Amazon selling, etc. And of course praying for God to provide a way through all of this.

No comments: